Are you constantly feeling self-conscious about your breath? Are you tired of people slowly backing away from you when you’re talking? Are you tired of being too afraid to make a move on that cutie you’ve been eyeing for a while because you know how bad your breath is? You’re not alone. In fact, about 1 in 4 people suffer from halitosis (bad breath). You don’t have to live with it any longer. Here are some reasons why you might have bad breath.
Causes Of Bad Breath
- Poor dental hygiene. Poor dental hygiene is the leading cause of halitosis. Without regular brushing and flossing, you can have a buildup of food particles that slowly break down, creating a foul odor.
- Food. We have bacteria in our mouth that helps break down particles of food. This process produces sulfur compounds that can cause our breath to smell.
- Dry mouth. Saliva naturally cleans the mouth. When your mouth is dry, odors can begin to build up.
Cures For Bad Breath
- Brush and floss regularly. Brushing at least twice a day and regularly flossing is key in fighting bad breath. Brushing only cleans around 60% of the surface of the tooth, so flossing is important to remove the plaque and food particles between your teeth. This, along with regular check-ups and cleanings from your dentist, will go a long way in helping you avoid bad breath.
- Keep yourself hydrated. Drink plenty of water; avoid anything that dehydrates you, and do things that help stimulate the creation of saliva (like chewing gum or sucking on a sweet candy). This will help keep your breath fresh. If your mouth is chronically dry, you should visit a doctor, who may prescribe medication to help stimulate the flow of saliva.
Have A Fresh, Healthy Smile
Our staff can provide you with the dentistry services you need to have a healthy and happy smile. Contact us at our local Polk City, IA office at 641-932-2729.